Petah Tikva

Petah Tikva

Petah Tikva (Hebrew: פֶּתַח תִּקְוָה‎, IPA: [ˈpetaχ tikˈva], "Opening of Hope"), also known as Em HaMoshavot ("Mother of the Moshavot"), is a city in the Central District of Israel, 10.6 km (6.59 mi) east of Tel Aviv. It was founded in 1878, mainly by religious orthodox Jews, also known as the Old Yishuv, and became a permanent settlement in 1883 with the financial help of Baron Edmond de Rothschild.

See also